Property Assessments & Taxes

View a video about the assessment process here.

View a video about the taxation and levy process here.

Visit the Department of Revenue's website for resources and information on the property tax refund for homeowners and renters. 


Each spring you will receive a notice of your property’s estimated market value (EMV) from Hennepin County. This year's EMVs will be used to calculate next year's property taxes. 

The assessor does not “get more $$$” for the county, school, or city by increasing property values. These entities get whatever $$$ they put in their budgets as revenue they will collect via their tax levy, and this amount will be collected whether property values increase or decrease. The assessed property values are simply used to determine how the tax levies are divided among property owners. An individual property's share of the tax levies may shift if an individual property's value goes up or down more in comparison to other properties. This is why it is important to make sure valuations are fair. 

Your EMV is supposed to be between 90% and 105% of what your property would sell for and should be in alignment with similar properties in the area. If you believe your EMV is incorrect, you are encouraged to APPEAL YOUR EMV. Here is the process:

1.  Contact the city's assessor Mike Smerdon at or 612-596-1362. Concerns often are addressed at this level.

2.  If your concerns are not resolved after contacting the assessor, you may write a letter to the Local Board of Appeal & Equalization (LBAE) and / or appear before the LBAE in person. Call 952.474.6633 by Friday 03.29.24 to get on the agenda. Note: The City Council functions as the LBAE. The LBAE convenes at 6pm on Thursday 04.04.24 at Deephaven City Hall (20225 Cottagewood Rd, Deephaven, MN) and may make final decisions at that time. If more time is needed, the LBAE may recess and reconvene to make final decisions.


City of Greenwood
Attn: Local Board of Appeal & Equalization
350 Highway 7, Suite 230
Excelsior, MN 55331

3.  If your concerns are not resolved after contacting the LBAE, you may bring your case to the County Board of Appeal & Equalization (CBAE) in June. You must call 612.348.7050 to get on the CBAE agenda. Note: To appear before the CBAE, you must first contact the LBAE in person or by mail.

4.  The final avenue of appeal would be to petition the Minnesota Tax Court. All appeals for tax court must be filed on or before April 30 of the year the tax becomes payable. For more information visit